Standard Theatre

Primary Name: 
Place Type: 
Neighborhood: 
Address: 
Occidental Avenue South and South Main Street
Postal Code: 
98 104
Description: 

The Standard Theatre, or "New Standard" opened in 1888. It was the second theatre John Cort opened in Seattle, and stood at the Southeast corner of Occidental Avenue South and South Main Street. The original Standard Theatre, which stood on 2nd Avenue South between South Main and South Washington Street had been Cort's first theatre venue in Seattle. Unlike the old Standard, which was lit with bleary gas lights and had been remodeled several times over since it was the Alhambra, the new Standard theatre had electric Edison lighting as well as steam heat, electric service-bells, and an 800-person capacity. In structure, the theatre was relatively bland, a wood-frame building with a corner entrance, double-hung windows with the second-story cantilevered out over the first story. This second story had a small corner porch from which musicians would entince passers-by. Over the street, supported by large wooden poles, an enormous sign proclaimed the name of the theatre. The luxuries of the new Standard spoke to Cort's intention of moving his theatre business into more respectable markets and attracting more genteel audiences with more professional actors and surroundings. Unfortunately for Cort, the new Standard would burn to the ground during the Great Seattle Fire on June 6th, 1889, just one year after opening.

Open Date: 
1888
Close Date: 
June 6 1889
Associated People: 
Sources: 
"Cort's Standard Theatre #2, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA". Pacific Coast Architecture Database. 2015. Web., Elliot, Eugene C. A History of Variety-Vaudeville in Seattle from the Beginning. Seattle : University of Washington Press, 1944. Print., Flom, Eric L. "Cort, John, (1861-1929)". Historylink.org, 9 Aug. 2001, HistoryLink.org Essay 3296, Seattle Daily Times, 22 Jun. 1905, p.3, The Seattle Republican, 30 Dec. 1910, p.42-44,