Squire's Opera House

Primary Name: 
Description: 

Squire's Opera House, Seattle's first legitimate theatre, opened on November 24, 1879. The theatre was built by Watson C. Squire, who was later elected Governor of Washington Territory and U.S. Senator. The large theatre accommodated nearly 600 audience members and was located on the east side of Commercial Street (1st Avenue South) between Main and Washington. After the theatre closed, the building served as a hotel and burned in the Great Seattle Fire of 1889.

Sources: 
Howard F. Grant, The Story of Seattle’s Early Theatres (Seattle: University Book Store, 1934), 21; Eugene Clinton Elliott, A History of Variety-Vaudeville in Seattle: From the Beginning to 1914 (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1944), 66, 72-73. "Squire's Opera House" Pacific Coast Architecture Database. http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/building/15514/
Primary Name Source: 
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=1964